ZAMBOANGA CITY, (PNA) -– Firefight broke out anew Friday “within the area of constriction” here that resulted to the death of four Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels as the standoff enters the 12th day.
Armed Forces’ Public Affairs Officer Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala said the fresh firefight ensued shortly after 6:00 a.m. while the troops are scouring the constriction area.
Zagala did not disclose the specific place of Friday morning’s firefight except in saying “within the area of constriction.”
The area of constriction include the adjoining barangays of Sta. Catalina and Sta. Barbara where the MNLF rebels earlier occupied and held hostage several civilians.
Zagala said the troops have also recovered various high-powered firearms from the possessions of the slain rebels.
He disclosed two soldiers were wounded in the fresh fighting.
At least 90 rebels were so far killed and 93 captured and surrendered since the start of the standoff in September 9.