KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, (PNA/Xinhua) — At least three civilians were killed and several others wounded Saturday morning in a suicide bomb attack in Kandahar city, the provincial capital of southern Afghanistan’s Kandahar province, said an army source.
“The blast occurred at around 0930 (local time) in front of a private hospital along a road leading to the Kandahar International Airport, killing three civilians,” Gen. Abdul Hamid Hamid, commander of the Afghan army regional corps, told Xinhua.
He said the likely target of the attack was a joint convoy of the NATO-led troops and Afghan army soldiers, adding no member of the convoy was hurt in the attack.
Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures.
Local TV channels reported that the attacker was riding a motorcycle and blew his explosive up in a failed attack on foreign and local security forces’ motorcade passing by the area.
The casualties were shifted to a nearby hospital.
No group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far.