KIDAPAWAN CITY, (PNA) — The Dept. of Health reported Friday that the dengue cases in the region has already claimed the lives of 47 persons since January this year, or an alarming 219 percent higher as compared the same period last year, health officials said.
From January to August 30 this year, DOH-12 monitored 8,851 as compared to last year’s 2,773.
North Cotabato remained to have the highest number of dengue patients with 2,819 and 12 deaths but Gen. Santos City recorded the highest number of fatalities with 17. The city has recorded 1,753 patients.
Jenny Ventura, DOH-12 health promotion officer, said that based on their dengue mortality records, this year 47 persons have died while in 2012, the DOH only recorded 26 deaths.
Coming next to Gen. Santos City in terms of dengue mortality was North Cotabato with 12, Saranggani – 11, South Cotabato – 5 and South Cotabato 2.
Cotabato City recorded no dengue fatality in 2012 until August 31 this year.
DOH data also shows that most of the fatalities were those whose ages range from 0-20 years old.
Health officials could not say to date what triggered the increase but Ventura, in a radio interview, said DOH has repeatedly reminded the public about practicing the four o’clock habit and applying the ABKD (Aksyon Barangay Kontra Dengue) campaign.
Central Mindanao, also known as SOCSSKESARGEN region, is composed of the provinces of North and South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Saraggani and the cities of Cotabato, Kidapawan, Koronadal, Tacurong and Gen. Santos.