DOH 13 wages anti-firecracker campaign for yuletide

Butuan City, Dec. 12 (PNA) — The Department of Health Regional Office 13 in a press forum on Friday evening at the conference room of a local hotel here in the city announces the waging of its anti-firecracker campaign for the forthcoming yuletide and 2016 New Year’s celebrations.

Dr. Cesar Cassion, the DOH 13 Assistant Regional Director said that their hands were filled with the preparations for the campaign even as the Caraganons were also preparing themselves to celebrate the Christmas solemnity and wave goodbye to 2015 as the year ends.

The anti-firecracker campaign, which carries the theme, “Wag Pasaway, Sa Paputok Goodbye Kamay,” focuses on encouraging the public to use alternative ways to celebrate the two previously mentioned major events, according to Cassion.

ARD Cassion also pointed out that in 2014, the DOH final report on the fireworks-related injury surveillance recorded zero death and 860 cases nationwide, which was 16 percent lower compared to 2013 (1,018 injuries).

Of the 860 reported injuries, 840 were due to fireworks, 13 from stray bullets, while 7 were cases of firecracker ingestion. Most injuries were caused by piccolo (32%), followed by kwitis (15%), unknown firecrackers (11%), luces (7%) and fountain (5%).

Most fireworks-related injuries came from the National Capital Region (57%), followed by Ilocos Region (8%), Western Visayas (7%) and CALABARZON (6%).

In NCR, most cases were from Manila (37%), Quezon City (26%) and Las Pinas City (6%). Notably, no cases were reported from the cities of San Juan and Muntinlupa.

In Caraga region, Surigao del Sur had the highest number of cases (14/42) compared to the other provinces. The province of Surigao del Norte also recorded the lowest number of cases (2/42).

“For this year, we encourage the public to use safe merry-making instruments and alternative noise-makers such as car horns, ‘torotot’ and other related instruments that produce loud music,” Cassion said.

He also said that Health Secretary Janette P. Loreto-Garin emphasized the earnest cooperation of the local governments and the public to achieve zero casualty in welcoming 2016.

The DOH reminds all Filipinos, both young and old to have fun yet being vigilant at the same time.

In case of injury due to firecrackers, the DOH advises that the wounds must immediately be washed with clean running water until all visible dirt and gunpowder residue is removed. The patient must immediately be rushed to the nearest health facility for proper medical attention.

“We definitely wouldn’t want these life-changing consequences happen to our locals due to firecracker explosions. Everyone is urged to join us in our campaign to stop the ignition of firecrackers. Let us look out for each other and welcome 2016 safely and healthily” Cassion said. (PNA)