By Christopher Lloyd T. Caliwan
MANILA, Oct. 12 (PNA) — Since the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has yet to receive a copy of the Ombudsman order dismissing suspended Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay, the latter can still file his Certificate of Candidacy (CoC) should he seek reelection for the city’s top post.
“If the Comelec receives order from the Ombudsman, we will implement immediately unless there is a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) from the court,” Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista said in a press conference held at the Comelec main office in Intramuros.
He added it is up to the Comelec-Makati’s decision whether it would accept or reject Binay’s COC should he decide to run.
In response, Binay said he will file his COC within the week.
“We can still appeal the case and tapusin natin yung kaso… Within the week ako mag-file (COC),” Binay told reporters.
The younger Binay showed up at the Comelec office with his father, Vice President Jejomar Binay, who filed his COC as a presidential candidate for the May 2016 polls.
Last Friday, the Office of the Ombudsman ordered the younger Binay’s dismissal and perpetual disqualification from service in connection with the alleged “overpriced” construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales said that Binay was dismissed for his dishonesty from service, among others.
In March, the Ombudsman suspended Binay over the alleged “overpricing” in the construction of the said building.
The suspension stemmed from the plunder and graft complaint filed in July last year by lawyer Renato Bondal, a political rival of the Binay clan.
In his complaint, Bondal claimed the construction of the building was overpriced by PHP862 million.
Bondal said the vice president, who was the Makati mayor when the building was constructed in 2007, conspired with his son, then a city councilor, some former and current Makati officials, and 10 executives of Hilmarc’s Construction Corp. over the building’s construction. (PNA)