Palace assures gov’t is addressing hike in dengue cases

By Jelly F. Musico

MANILA, Oct. 1 (PNA) – Malacanang on Thursday assured that the government is addressing the number of dengue cases that reportedly increased significantly, particularly in Cavite, Bulacan and Pangasinan in the last two months.

”The Department of Health is closely monitoring this in coordination of the local governments. We have nothing to worry,” Coloma said.

According to reports, the province of Cavite has been put under state of calamity due to 285 percent increase or over 4,500 cases of dengue in 2015.

Bulacan province has also declared a state of calamity after the provincial health office listed an average of 300 dengue cases weekly since July while Pangasinan also recorded a 50 percent increase in dengue cases.

The DOH has reportedly recorded over 55,000 suspected dengue cases from Jan. 1 to Aug. 8 this year.

The figure was 9.15 percent higher compared to the 50,462 cases recorded in the same period last year, according to the DOH.

Some hospitals have been ordered to provide priority lanes for the patients with dengue cases.

”The government has enough resources to address the problem. We just have to observe the guidelines to maintain cleanliness of our surroundings to eliminate dengue-carrying mosquitoes,” Coloma said. (PNA)