LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Oct. 1 (PNA) — The Provincial Health Office (PHO) said suspected dengue cases in Pangasinan went up by more than 50 percent from January to September 28 this year as compared to those registered during the same period last year.
Provincial Health Officer Anna Teresa de Guzman said 2,940 suspected dengue cases were registered for the nine-month period starting January, or 57 percent higher than the cases registered during the same period in 2014.
This year, 12 persons, mostly children, died from dengue as compared to five last year.
De Guzman clarified the suspected dengue cases are those suffering from prolonged fever but have yet to be confirmed by laboratory analysis.
PHO placed nine towns and one city in Pangasinan under the dengue watch list for registering the highest number of suspected dengue cases that include Alaminos, 404; Sison, 164; Bolinao, 158; Bani, 151; San Fabian, 126; Asingan, 107; Umingan, 88; Anda, 86; and Pozorrubio, 83 and San Carlos City.
De Guzman said no clustering of cases was noted yet, except in some barangays of San Fabian.
At the same time, she admitted that government hospitals are now crowded with suspected dengue cases, citing the Pangasinan Provincial Hospital (PPH) in San Carlos City which has an approved 150-bed capacity is now averaging 520 in-patients daily.
A report said that the hallway of the pediatric ward of the PPH is now used for patients, not only of suspected dengue cases but also pneumonia and diarrhea.
She said the PHO has mobilized its personnel in the nine towns and one city under the dengue watch list to coordinate with barangay officials to conduct massive clean up drive and misting operations in their areas. (PNA)