CEBU CITY, Sept. 26 (PNA) — More than half of the Php 16.8-billion infrastructure budget for Central Visayas in 2016 will be channeled to Cebu, an official said.
Ador Canlas, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 director, said Cebu would get some Php 9 billion, or 53 percent of the entire infrastructure budget for the region next year.
Canlas said this would mean a lot of road and bridge projects in the province next year.
This also meant heavier traffic in Metro Cebu because some roads would be closed for their improvement, he said.
Canlas said the DPWH had been conducting road improvement in Cebu since 2012.
He said President Benigno S. Aquino is batting for quality and safer roads that would last longer.
Canlas said the newly-improved roads were now paved with thicker concrete from 23 centimeters (cm) to 28 cm to 30 cm or 14 inches thick.
The road projects next year would include the concreting of farm to market roads and roads leading to tourist attractions in the province, Canlas said. (PNA)