South Cotabato village placed under state of calamity due to diarrhea outbreak

By Edwin O. Fernandez

TANTANGAN, South Cotabato, Sept. 25 (PNA) — Local officials have placed a remote village here under state of calamity following an outbreak of dysentery that downed 46 persons.

Dr. Renato Ureta, Tantangan town health chief, said the village of New Iloilo had been cordoned off to prevent water from getting into residential houses after the number of persons hospitalized rose today to 46 from 36 on Thursday.

“This act is to prevent additional patients,” Ureta told reporters.

Ureta said while investigation was still on going, it could be confirmed that a diarrhea outbreak was taking place.

“We are closely watching the village, all houses have been inspected and that all individuals have been given safe drinking water,” he added.

Initial investigation showed that the outbreak started Thursday morning after two dozens villagers simultaneously complained of abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Ureta said the culprit could be the communal water sources for drinking water.

Two health workers were stationed in the village to help educate the people on the dangers of taking unsafe drinking water.

Several boxes of oresol for safe drinking water have been distributed to residents.

Ureta said some of those hospitalized and had recovered could start to return to their homes. (PNA)