DFA checking for Filipino casualties in Haj stampede

By Michaela del Callar

MANILA, Sept. 24 (PNA) — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is checking for Filipino casualties in the Hajj stampede near the Islamic holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia after more than 300 people were reported killed.

“According to our embassy in Riyadh, there are so far no reports of Filipinos involved in the stampede but they are still confirming with all the Hajj groups,” said Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose in a text message.

Every year, hundreds of Filipino Muslims join the pilgrimage to Mecca.

Reports said at least 450 were injured in the crush, which happened when about two million pilgrims were taking part in the last rite of the hajj. (PNA)