Lacson: Bodies are still being recovered in Tacloban

MANILA, Jan. 27 (PNA) — The count for typhoon “Yolanda” fatalities may have already ended, but rehab czar Panfilo Lacson said that more bodies are still being recovered up to now.

Lacson, in a briefing at Malacanang, said that during his visit to Tacloban City last Friday, authorities recovered about six bodies. However, he said there was nothing alarming about the news.

“This is not alarming because they did not close the count,” Lacson said, referring to the national disaster agency’s halt in releasing updated data Nov 20 last year.

“It’s impossible (to close the count) because of the intensity of the storm surge,” he added. “We can never really close the count of fatalities.”

Lacson said the public must not think of the national government as being inefficient because similar incidences happened in other areas of the world.

“You never know, there might just be people pinned down, washed away in different islands,” Lacson said. “Others from far places no longer waited for the government and buried their relatives themselves.”

“That is the norm if there are calamities. You don’t know when you will recover a new body,” he added. (PNA)