CEBU CITY, Jan. 20 (PNA) — Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Danilo Constantino said the crowd that witnessed the Sinulog grand parade Sunday reached 3.5 million.
The figure was, however, lower than last year’s four million, which he said could be because the people are still reeling from the effects of the 7.2-magnitude earthquake and super typhoon Yolanda.
He also said this was also reflected on the number of dancing contingents which dropped from 70 last year to 35 this year.
Constantino said that this year’s security preparation was better compared to the preceding years.
But he said there is a need to sustain the current peace and order situation.
He said the Philippine National Police would continue to be on full alert and he would still station policemen in places like bars and other crowded areas.
Constantino said he would recommend the posting of big vicinity maps at the Cebu City Sports Center indicating exit areas.
He said there were no major incidents reported during the Sinulog grand parade.
“Maybe it’s because the people were enjoying in the streets,” he said.
The only incidents recorded were those of children separated from their parents but who were later reunited, pickpockets and snatchers victimizing revelers, and a Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) member who had a drink too many. (PNA)