DOH to highlight “scare tactics” to discourage public from using firecrackers

By Azer N. Parrocha

MANILA, (PNA) — Many fail to realize the consequences of firecracker-use until after getting bloodied, stitched up or worse, losing a body part.

On account of this, the Dept. of Health (DOH) will use more “scare tactics” such as images of firecracker-injured victims to discourage public from using these cardboard cylinders filled with explosives.

Assistant Health Secretary, Dr. Eric Tayag said in a TV interview that aside from these images, the DOH can also televise the surgical tools doctors use when performing operations.

During a briefing last Thursday, the DOH already gave media men a preview on some of the tools used at the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center.

The health executive also urged lawmakers to review the law which regulates the sale, manufacture and distribution of firecrackers or Republic Act 7183 enacted in 1991.

He also said in the TV report that because existing laws did not require a total ban of firecrackers, it was for lawmakers to consider.

“Firecrackers are completely banned in Davao but there is still a case of a 13-year-old boy sustaining injuries due to piccolo,” Tayag said in Filipino.

“Over the years, we see that because of the campaign and because of the law, injuries have decreased,” he added. “The only option left is to ban them–that can be what we call the most extreme measure.”

However, he also believed that a complete ban might not be necessary if firecracker use was only limited to professionals.

Right now, the number of firecracker-related injuries is at 140, which is significantly lower than 146 in the same period last year, the DOH noted.