PNP to look into resale of ready-to-eat meals for ‘Yolanda’ survivors

MANILA, Dec. 4 (PNA) — The Philippine National Police(PNP) would look into the alleged resale of ready-to-eat meals from the United States for survivors of super typhoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan), Malacañang said Wednesday.

Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma Jr. said the Palace is interested in getting to the bottom of the alleged sale of relief items.

“Kung makukumpirma ang ulat na ito, if this report is verified, maaaring siyasatin ito ng Philippine National Police (If this report is verified, the PNP can investigate it),” he said at a media briefing.

“Syempre po ang gusto natin ay ‘yung maayos na paghahatid ng kalinga at tulong sa ating mga mamamayan na naaayon sa batas. So kung ano po ang naganap na labag sa batas, tungkulin po ng ating mga law enforcement agencies na siyasatin ito at ipatupad ang batas (Of course we want an orderly distribution of aid to people affected by the typhoon. This means having law enforcement agencies investigating and taking appropriate actions on any violation of the law),” he said.

Earlier reports indicated that some ready-to-eat meals meant for survivors of Yolanda had been brought to some stores in Metro Manila where they are sold.

Yolanda had left more than 5,600 dead after battering parts of Eastern Visayas and Southern Luzon.

Coloma said the PNP is aware of its mandate to enforce the law.

“Batid po ng PNP ang dapat nilang gawin bilang law enforcement agency (The PNP knows what it has to do as a law enforcement agency),” he said. (PNA)